During Black Friday and Cyber Monday a great wave of consumerism is unleashed. Although originally it was an American custom, in recent years they have been hitting hard all over the world and of course, this includes our country.buy youtube views
Ecommerces, companies and many brands with online presence, see a great opportunity in these significant days to start the Christmas pre-campaign and make promotions with great discounts. As the competition is high and the time limited (since they are only a few days), digital marketing strategies increase their budget and focus on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
The effort is worth it. According to the Third Observatory of Black Friday in Spain conducted by Worten , 7 out of 10 Internet users will buy on this date and the average cost will be 222 euros.
First of all, sign up for this year’s dates: Black Friday will be Friday November 23 and Cyber Monday will be Monday, November 26, 2018 .
What are Black Friday and Cyber Monday?
The Black Friday a few years ago we did not sound anything and now is a very strong prop for online sales and
Its origin is in the United States back in the 50s, and is always celebrated on the Friday following Thanksgiving. The reason is that that day is a holiday in the United States, that is, that people do not work but stores take the opportunity to open and offer discounts to kick off the Christmas shopping season. So much was its success, that the stores managed to go from “red numbers” to “black numbers”, hence the name of the date.
In Spain it was wanted to implement to encourage consumption before the holidays, in the midst of the economic crisis, but now it has become a day with its own entity and serves to preempt Christmas shopping .
In contrast, Cyber Monday is much more recent, since it was held for the first time in 2005. The idea was to encourage online shopping, which at that time did not enjoy such popularity. It is celebrated on a Monday because at that time many users did not have high-speed Internet at home and therefore took advantage of shopping online at the office.
Therefore, we see that at first the idea was to make physical purchases on Black Friday and digital Cyber Monday, but today this distinction is not so clear and offers can be extended a week or more.
It is also curious that, although Cyber Monday is a later invention, its popularity has managed to unseat the “Black Friday”. In 2017, Monday’s sales reached 6.6 billion dollars, almost doubling those of the previous year, while on Friday “only” 5 billion dollars of products with discounts were sold.
In our country Cyber Monday was held for the first time in 2010 by Amazon , and although at first the sales were not too outrageous, it has seen its results improve year after year. In part this is due to the improvement of the economy, but also to the loss of the fear of users to buy online.
How shopping habits have changed
Consumers have become more forward looking and take advantage of dates like Black Friday and Cyber Mondar to buy more in advance, since the bargains are quite succulent.
The supports most used in these dates are, at the time of making advertising investment:
- Email marketing (92.3%)
- Social networks – Paid Media (84.6%)
- Mobile display (71.8%)
- Display and links (69.2%)
- Search marketing (59%)
- Mobile apps (20.5%)
- Video marketing (17.9%)
And the supports where the investment in the campaign grows the mostare:
- Social networks – Paid Media (33.3%)
- Email marketing (25.6%)
- Display and links (23.1%)
- Search marketing (20.5%)
- Mobile Apps (17.9%)
- Mobile Display (12.8%)
- Video marketing (5.1%)
Ranking of media in which companies increased their advertising investment on Black Friday in Spain, according to Statista .
Forecasts for Black Friday and Cyber Monday in 2018
For marketers, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are dates of great interest, since they attract an increasing number of users interested in the offers. Consumers have become more foresighted and take advantage of dates like Black Friday to buy more in advance, since the bargains are quite succulent.
Digital shopping platforms and ecommerces have improved their presence in the network and payment methods. In addition, the millennial generation and the Z have standardized the consumption digitally.
In the recent debate “How to implement successful digital strategies for the ‘Black Friday'” , organized by Making Science and with representatives of Google, Habitísimo and Black Limba, some very interesting data was pointed out about the forecasts for the next Black Friday and its impact on current online marketing. Take note:
- According to estimates, next Black Friday will generate 1300 million euros in online sales, 13% more than in 2017.
- 5.3% of internet sales of the year are made during this date.
- The search volume of the terms “Black Friday” and “Cyber Monday” has multiplied by 14 in the last 4 years. The most sought after category in this shopping period is technology, which represents 58% of the total, followed by fashion with 18% and sports with 6%.
For its part, Worten’s Third Black Friday Observatory in Spain also provides some data to take into account on this date in our country:
- The communities that spend the most in this campaign, based on data from 2017, are La Rioja, Aragón, Canary Islands and Andalusia. The least are Catalonia, Galicia, Extremadura and Castilla y León.
- 47% of users will buy more on these dates than Christmas (eye on the data!).
- The price is the main motivation for 88% of the users.
- 80% will buy online.
- And 18% of Black Friday purchases (almost one out of every five items) are returned or exchanged, so it’s always important to be clear about your return policy for these dates.
Digital Marketing during Black Friday and Cyber Monday
How to sell more during Black Friday and Cyber Monday
Do you need ideas to get more out of your online marketing this Black Friday? Take note of these suggestions:
1. Go ahead to date with your email marketing campaigns . While the competition is still deciding what to do, you can alert your mailing list of the fantastic discounts that await you. To achieve maximum effectiveness, look for an issue with a hook, personalize the message for different types of customers and make sure to send the email at peak times.
2. Do not remove your landing page after Cyber Monday . If you create a permanent landing page for Black Friday, you will accumulate SEO throughout the year and will be in the top positions during the key dates. Of course, make sure that the content is relevant at all times.
3. Take advantage of the power of social networks . According to a study conducted in 2017, that year there were no less than 1.5 million mentions of the event on social networks only during the key date of Black Friday (November 24). So make sure your online marketing plan includes options to join the conversation.
4. Start a program of recommendations . According to Nielsen, the recommendations are the form of digital advertising that generates more confidence. If you coordinate your recommendation programs so that they are more active during Black Friday and Cyber Monday, you will give your promotions an extra boost.
5. Add a countdown . Putting a visible account in your product pages is a simple and super efficient way to get more conversions. You can use a countdown to announce when the offer will begin and another to indicate when it will end.
6. Take advantage of cross-selling opportunities . Black Friday and Cyber Monday are dates on which users are hunting for bargains, so take advantage of them to create packs of related products at a reduced price.
7. Create excitement with flash sales . This strategy comes in handy for the weeks before the key date. It is about selling a product or a small series of products at a great discount and for a very limited time. A small appetizer of what is to come in your digital marketing.
8. Video Ads. Bet on making small advertising videos in your campaigns . They connect better with the public and people are more likely to look at them. In Instagram is a tool that is gaining strength and that will help us reach the younger audience and consume more regularly, for example in the Stories.
9. Organic actions. We all actions of our marketing strategy should be ads, but also organic actions are essential through social networks, blog, communities and the brand’s website. We must spread the contents of our campaigns choosing the message very well, the keywords, including quality images, take advantage of the Apps and complementary tools offered by each platform and put a lot, but a lot of creativity on our part as marketers. Always aiming to create excellent content that will attract our followers on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
10. Create several types of promotions. Defer to the January sales, which usually put the entire genre at the same discount. Apply different promotions for different products. Even depending on whether consumers are partners or not. For example, in a clothing ecommerce you can put up to 50% in selected garments, 30% for the rest of the garments without promotion, only for members, and 20% for the rest of the garments (if you are not a member).